From washing machines to mattresses, there are hundreds of hard to clean items in our home. Here are 28 tips on cleaning those difficult areas!
1.Get rid of dust in the kitchen. We all have issues with that greasy kitchen dust coating those spots in our kitchen. Rub the areas with mineral oil to banish greasy dust. Idea from BuzzFeed.
3.Dirty blinds. Vacuuming doesn’t always tackle all of the dust and dirt. Simply dip a sock in vinegar and water. Put your hand in the sock, and clean both sides of the blinds at the same time! Great idea from BabaMail.
5. Pet hair. If you have animals that shed, this is a must. Sometimes brooms and vacuums do not get all of the hair. Using a squeegee (yes, a squeegee) works perfectly to remove the fur! Idea from BabaMail.
6.Carpet stains. I hate the look of pesky stains on my white carpet. Creekline House has created a great DIY method to get rid of those annoying stains using vinegar, dish soap, water. and an iron.
7. Pillows. Most people think that washing pillow cases are enough. But it is a good idea to wash pillow cases too. A few times a year, wash with fragrance free detergent or baking soda. Make sure that the pillow is completely dry before removing from the dryer. This is to prevent any mold or mildew. Idea from Today.
8. Clean your washing machine. This seems like a daunting task, but it is a necessary evil. This step by step guide will walk you through the process. Goodbye odors and limescale!
9. Clean cabinet gunk. Using 2 ingredients. give your cabinets the deep clean they deserve! I honestly cannot think of the last time that mine were cleaned!
10. Fan blades. This is such a tricky thing to clean. Especially if you are short like me! Use a pillow case to clean your fan blades. The pillow case will trap the dust, and keep it out of your face. No more sneezing!
12. Salt cleans your iron. You read that correctly, salt will clean your iron! Simply pour salt on your ironing board, iron without the steam option, and the dirt on your iron will stick to the salt! Detailed instructions can be found on A Mum ‘n the Oven.
13. Air conditioner. Seriously? My air conditioner? Use these instructions to help the unit cool your home more efficiently.
14. Get rid of mildew. There is nothing worse than forgetting a load of laundry in the washer, removing it to have it smell terrible, and then having to re wash it! This tip using vinegar will help to eliminate that odor.
15. Oil stains. Oil stains on my driveway are the bane of my existence. Use Pour-N-Restore to remove those pesky oil stains. It is super easy!
16. Cleaning a microfiber couch. I love microfiber, but they tend to display stains extremely well. Rubbing alcohol will literally make your stained couch look like new.
17. Remove hard water stains. Cut a lemon in half and scrub away at your faucets. Let sit, and then rinse with warm water. Great idea from Listotic.
18. Makeup brushes. Okay, I have never washed mine, not even once. Cleaning your makeup brushes can help prevent breakouts. Use this shampoo to get the job done.
19. Permanent marker stains. Put the hairspray away, and apply some white toothpaste to the marker. Use some elbow grease to remove the stain using a damp towel. Idea from My Life and Kids.
20. Clean your vacuum filter. Dishwashers are good for more than just dishes! Place your vacuum filter in the dishwasher to get it looking like new again! I cannot wait to try this idea from A Girl and Her Needle.
21. Nail polish. We have all been there, dropping an entire bottle of nail polish on our bathroom tile. Instead of re-doing your entire bathroom, use nail polish remover, a magic eraser, and hair spray to get rid of that horrible splatter. A must-know tip from Baby Center.
22. Clean your mattress. Wait, this is a thing? Absolutely! Sprinkle baking soda mixed with your favorite essential oil on your mattress and then vacuum it up. Full instructions can be found here.
23. Shine your silver. You know that stuff that you only bring out during the holidays? Yeah, it needs some love too. Baking soda and kosher salt will get your silver shining like new.
24. Banish water stains. Salt and olive oil will help to restore wood that has been stained by a glass of water. This genius tutorial from Sweet Parrish Place will restore your wood.
27. Bathtub grime. Get rid of yucky grime on your bathtub’s no slip surface. Simply soak in vinegar and dish soap.
28. Make burnt pans look new. Add water and a cup of vinegar to the pan, and let simmer. Add some baking soda, and pour the mixture away. Scrub till the pan is clean! A great all natural idea from Awesome Inventions.
I cannot wait to give my home the deep cleaning it deserves after discovering all of these great cleaning hacks. I wish you all the best of luck!